Reason Code 13.5 – Misrepresentation
Why did I receive this dispute?
The cardholder claims you misrepresented the terms of the sale.
How long can the issuer wait to file a dispute?
The dispute timeline can be based on one of two start dates. Either the dispute must be processed within 120 calendar days of:
- the transaction processing date, or
- the date the customer received the merchandise or services (but not to exceed 540 days of the original transaction processing date)
What compelling evidence is needed to respond?
- If the merchandise or services were not misrepresented, provide documentation to prove the originally agreed upon terms and how you fulfilled those terms.
- If the cardholder claims funds are being withheld after making an investment, provide documentation to prove there are no funds available for withdrawal.
- If the dispute is invalid, provide documentation that proves the reasoning: the dispute is based solely on claims related to the quality of purchased items or the dispute amount includes the cash-back portion of the transaction.
- If you have already processed a refund for the transaction in question, provide documentation that proves you have credited the cardholder’s account.
- If the cardholder no longer wishes to dispute the transaction, provide documentation that proves the issue has been resolved.
How can I avoid this dispute in the future?
- Make sure all descriptions of the services or merchandise are complete, accurate, and not misleading.
- Clearly and concisely communicate your terms of service and make it easy for customers to find the information.
- Fully comply with all of Visa’s requirements for free trials, introductory offers, and upsells.