Reason Code 4853 - Credit Posted as a Purchase
Why did I receive this chargeback?
You processed a sale when you should have processed a credit.
How long can the issuer wait to file a chargeback?
The maximum amount of time that can pass between the transaction date and the chargeback processing date is 120 calendar days.
What compelling evidence is needed to respond?
Your chargeback response must include at least one of the following items:
- Explanation and documentation to refute the cardholder’s claim
- Proof that the chargeback is invalid because it doesn’t adhere to Mastercard requirements
- Proof you have already refunded the transaction and credited the cardholder’s account
- Proof the cardholder no longer wishes to dispute the transaction
How can I avoid this chargeback in the future?
- Hold regular staff training sessions to ensure everyone on your team knows how to correctly process transactions, refunds, and adjustments.