Reason Code 4808 - Expired Chargeback Protection Period
Why did I receive this chargeback?
You settled the transaction after the deadline had expired and the cardholder’s account is no longer in good standing.
How long can the issuer wait to file a chargeback?
The maximum amount of time that can pass between the transaction processing date and the chargeback processing date is 90 calendar days.
What compelling evidence is needed to respond?
Your chargeback response must include at least one of the following items:
- Proof the transaction was authorized and presented within the allotted time frame
- Proof that the chargeback is invalid because it doesn’t adhere to Mastercard requirements
- Proof you have already refunded the transaction and credited the cardholder’s account
How can I avoid this chargeback in the future?
- Always send an authorization request before processing a transaction.
- If the transaction has a preauthorization, settle the transaction within 30 calendar days of the latest authorization approval date.
- If the transaction doesn’t have a preauthorization, settle the transaction within seven calendar days of the authorization approval date.