Reason Code DP – Duplicate Processing
Why did I receive this chargeback?
A single transaction was submitted more than once.
How long can the issuer wait to file a chargeback?
The maximum amount of time that can pass between the transaction processing date and the chargeback processing date is 120 calendar days.
However, the timeline may be extended if the issuer first submitted a retrieval request. If the retrieval request process finishes after the 120 day deadline, the issuer will have an additional 30 days to file a chargeback.
What compelling evidence is needed to respond?
Examples of compelling evidence that you may submit in response to a chargeback with this reason code include:
- Proof that the cardholder authorized each transaction
- Proof that the chargeback is invalid because it doesn’t adhere to Discover’s requirements
- Proof you have already refunded the transaction and credited the cardholder’s account
How can I avoid this chargeback in the future?
- Always respond to retrieval requests on time and with the required information.
- If you notice a duplicate transaction, issue a credit as soon as possible.
- Double check all transaction receipts before they are deposited.
- Only send batches one time.
- If the customer wants to change to a different form of payment after initially offering the payment card, be sure to void the charge.