Reason Code F10 – Missing Imprint
Why did I receive this chargeback?
You processed a transaction without using the magnetic stripe or chip card data, and the cardholder claims he or she didn’t participate in the purchase.
Note: This reason code should not be used for card-not-present transactions or charges that qualify for the keyed-no imprint program.
What compelling evidence is needed to respond?
Your chargeback response must include at least one of the following items:
- If the purchase qualifies for the keyed-no imprint program or was a card-not-present transaction, provide proof the dispute is invalid.
- If the card was present at the time of the purchase and the transaction was processed correctly, provide an imprinted charge record or a capture of the magnetic stripe.
- If you have already processed a refund for the transaction in question, provide documentation that proves you have credited the cardholder’s account.
How can I avoid this chargeback in the future?
- Create an electronic or manual imprint for every card-present transaction.
- Use fallback options—like manually entering transaction data—as a last resort.
- If you do perform a key-entered transaction, make a manual imprint of the card.
- Only use EMV-compliant terminals.
- Always use the correct cardholder verification method—signature, PIN, etc.
- Make sure you differentiate between card-not-present and card-present transactions during clearing by noting internet, phone, or mail orders.