4853 - Cardholder Dispute - "No Show" Hotel Charge
Why did I receive this chargeback?
You either charged the cardholder when you shouldn’t have or didn’t tell the cardholder about the “no-show” fee before finalizing the reservation.
How long can the issuer wait to file a chargeback?
The maximum amount of time that can pass between the transaction processing date and the chargeback processing date is 120 calendar days.
What compelling evidence is needed to respond?
Your chargeback response must include at least one of the following items:
- Explanation and documentation to refute the cardholder’s claim
- Proof that the chargeback is invalid because it doesn’t adhere to Mastercard requirements
- Proof you have already refunded the transaction and credited the cardholder’s account
- Proof the cardholder no longer wishes to dispute the transaction
How can I avoid this chargeback in the future?
- Fulfill all qualified cancellation requests promptly.
- Clearly explain your cancellation and no-show policy, and have the cardholder agree to the terms before finalizing the reservation.
- Train your staff so the guest won’t accidentally be charged a no-show fee if the accomodations were used or you offered alternate accommodations.