4808 - Authorization-Related Chargeback - Cardholder-Activated Terminal (CAT) 3 Device
Why did I receive this chargeback?
You used a cardholder-activated terminal to process a transaction and the transaction amount exceed the acceptable limit or the card was not valid at the time of the transaction.
How long can the issuer wait to file a chargeback?
The maximum amount of time that can pass between the transaction processing date and the chargeback processing date is 90 calendar days.
What compelling evidence is needed to respond?
Your chargeback response must include at least one of the following items:
- Proof the transaction was authorized and presented within the allotted time frame
- Proof the account number was valid when the transaction was processed and proof you did not exceed the maximum transaction amount
- Proof that the chargeback is invalid because it doesn’t adhere to Mastercard requirements
- Proof you have already refunded the transaction and credited the cardholder’s account
How can I avoid this chargeback in the future?
- Always send an authorization request before processing a transaction.
- Adhere to regulations for maximum transaction amount if your MCC is 4784, 5499, 7523, or 7542.