Reason Code 13.4 – Counterfeit Merchandise
Why did I receive this dispute?
The merchandise you sold has been identified as counterfeit by a reliable third-party.
How long can the issuer wait to file a dispute?
The dispute timeline can be based on one of three start dates. Either the dispute must be processed within 120 calendar days of:
- the transaction processing date, or
- the date the customer received the merchandise or services (but not to exceed 540 days of the original transaction processing date), or
- the date the customer was told the merchandise was counterfeit (but not to exceed 540 days of the original transaction processing date)
What compelling evidence is needed to respond?
- If the merchandise is not counterfeit, provide documentation that proves the quality of the product.
- If the dispute is invalid, provide documentation that proves the dispute amount includes the cash-back portion of the transaction.
- If you have already processed a refund for the transaction in question, provide documentation that proves you have credited the cardholder’s account.
- If the cardholder no longer wishes to dispute the transaction, provide documentation that proves the issue has been resolved.
How can I avoid this dispute in the future?
- Only sell genuine merchandise.
- Make sure all product descriptions are complete, accurate, and not misleading.