12.5 – Incorrect Amount
Why did I receive this dispute?
The cardholder claims the transaction amount is incorrect.
How long can the issuer wait to file a dispute?
For U.S. domestic transactions, the dispute timeline can be based on one of two start dates. Either the dispute must be processed within 120 calendar days of:
- the transaction processing date, or
- the transaction adjustment date for an ATM cash disbursement or PIN-authenticated debit transaction
For all other transactions, the maximum amount of time that can pass between the transaction processing date and the dispute processing date is 120 calendar days.
What compelling evidence is needed to respond?
- If the transaction amount is correct, provide documentation that proves the cardholder consented to the payment total.
- If you have already processed a refund for the transaction in question, provide documentation that proves you have credited the cardholder’s account.
- If the cardholder no longer wishes to dispute the transaction, provide documentation that proves the issue has been resolved.
How can I avoid this dispute in the future?
- Unless authorized, never change the amount of a completed transaction without the cardholder’s consent.
- Use caution when entering handwritten transaction information.
- Always swipe or dip a card—only use fall-back options in emergency situations.