12.2 – Incorrect Transaction Code
Why did I receive this dispute?
You sent a transaction with an incorrect transaction code—you processed a sale when you should have processed a credit or you processed a credit when you should have processed a sale.
How long can the issuer wait to file a dispute?
The dispute timeline can be based on one of two start dates. Either the dispute must be processed within 120 calendar days of:
- the transaction processing date, or
- the processing date for the credit refund
What compelling evidence is needed to respond?
- If the transaction was processed correctly, provide documentation that proves the reason why you acted the way you did.
- If you have already processed a refund for the transaction in question, provide documentation that proves you have credited the cardholder’s account.
- If the cardholder no longer wishes to dispute the transaction, provide documentation that proves the issue has been resolved.
How can I avoid this dispute in the future?
- Hold regular staff training sessions to ensure everyone on your team knows how to correctly process transactions, refunds, and adjustments.