Reason Code 4853 - Goods or Services Not Provided
Why did I receive this chargeback?
The customer claims you didn’t provide the goods or services as promised.
How long can the issuer wait to file a chargeback?
The chargeback timeline can be based on one of several start dates:
- If the delivery date or service performance date was not specified, the issuer must wait at least 30 calendar days after the transaction processing date to initiate the chargeback but not exceed 120 calendar days. However, the 30 day waiting period can be waived if you’ve gone out of business or otherwise won’t be able to fulfill your obligations.
- If the delivery date or service performance date was specified and has passed, the chargeback must be initiated within 120 calendar days of the transaction processing date.
- If ongoing services are terminated, the chargeback must be initiated within 120 calendar days of the date services ended (but not to exceed 540 days of the original transaction processing date).
- If the cardholder bought a prepaid gift card and you go out of business, a chargeback must be initiated within 120 calendar days of the card’s expiration date or within 540 calendar days of the transaction processing date if there is no expiration date on the card.
What compelling evidence is needed to respond?
Your chargeback response must include at least one of the following items:
- Explanation and documentation to refute the cardholder’s claim
- Proof that the chargeback is invalid because it doesn’t adhere to Mastercard requirements
- Proof you have already refunded the transaction and credited the cardholder’s account
- Proof the cardholder no longer wishes to dispute the transaction
How can I avoid this chargeback in the future?
- Abide by the delivery date you promised.
- Have merchandise ready for pickup at the time you specified it would be available.
- Make sure you accurately describe the services that will be provided.
- Don’t charge the card until the merchandise has been shipped.
- Notify the customer as soon as possible if merchandise is out of stock or the delivery will be delayed.