4853 - Cardholder Dispute - Counterfeit Goods
Why did I receive this chargeback?
The cardholder claims you promised genuine merchandise, but the merchandise received was counterfeit.
How long can the issuer wait to file a chargeback?
The chargeback timeline can be based on one of two start dates. Either the chargeback must be processed within 120 calendar days of:
- the transaction processing date, or
- the date the goods or services were received after a delayed delivery
What compelling evidence is needed to respond?
Your chargeback response must include at least one of the following items:
- Explanation and documentation to refute the cardholder’s claim
- Proof that the chargeback is invalid because it doesn’t adhere to Mastercard requirements
- Proof you have already refunded the transaction and credited the cardholder’s account
- Proof the cardholder no longer wishes to dispute the transaction
How can I avoid this chargeback in the future?
- Only sell genuine merchandise.
- Make sure all product descriptions are complete, accurate, and not misleading.