4834 - Point-Of-Interaction Error - Unreasonable Amount (European transactions only)
Why did I receive this chargeback?
You didn’t specify the exact transaction amount before finalizing the purchase. Now, the cardholder thinks the amount is unreasonable.
How long can the issuer wait to file a chargeback?
The maximum amount of time that can pass between the transaction processing date and the chargeback processing date is 90 calendar days.
What compelling evidence is needed to respond?
Your chargeback response must include at least one of the following items:
- Explanation and documentation that prove the cardholder agreed to a reasonable amount range (itemized price list signed by the cardholder, written agreement for recurring transaction with maximum amount, etc.)
- Proof that the chargeback is invalid because it doesn’t adhere to Mastercard requirements
- Proof you have already refunded the transaction and credited the cardholder’s account
How can I avoid this chargeback in the future?
- Provide the cardholder with an accurate estimate of the transaction amount before charging the card.
- Make sure all transaction amounts are reasonable based on previous bills and the relevant circumstances of services provided.