Reason Code 4834 - Point-Of-Interaction Error, ATM Disputes
Why did I receive this chargeback?
The cardholder claims not to have received cash or only received a partial amount from an ATM withdrawal. Or, the ATM withdrawal debited the account more than once.
How long can the issuer wait to file a chargeback?
The maximum amount of time that can pass between the transaction processing date and the chargeback processing date is 90 calendar days. However, the issuer must wait at least 5 days to initiate the chargeback.
What compelling evidence is needed to respond?
Your chargeback response must include at least one of the following items:
- Explanation and documentation to refute the cardholder’s claim (including transaction amount, transaction type, transaction date and time, account accessed, primary account number, terminal number, transaction trace, and financial activity that occurred immediately before and after the disputed transaction)
- Proof that the cardholder performed two different withdrawals and you received two different authorization codes
- Proof that the chargeback is invalid because it doesn’t adhere to Mastercard requirements
- Proof you have already refunded the transaction and credited the cardholder’s account
How can I avoid this chargeback in the future?
- Reconcile ATMs promptly.
- Adjust out-of-balance ATMs.
- Process a credit as soon as possible if you notice a discrepancy.