Reason Code 4834 - Cardholder Debited More than Once for the Same Goods or Services
Why did I receive this chargeback?
You either processed a payment card transaction more than once or you charged the customer’s card after a different payment method was used.
How long can the issuer wait to file a chargeback?
The maximum amount of time that can pass between the transaction processing date and the chargeback processing date is 90 calendar days.
What compelling evidence is needed to respond?
Your chargeback response must include at least one of the following items:
- Explanation that refutes the cardholder’s claim and documentation that proves the two transactions were for different goods or services
- Proof that the chargeback is invalid because it doesn’t adhere to Mastercard requirements
- Proof you have already refunded the transaction and credited the cardholder’s account
How can I avoid this chargeback in the future?
- If you notice a duplicate transaction, issue a credit as soon as possible.
- Double check all transaction receipts before they are deposited.
- Only send batches one time.
- If the customer wants to change to a different form of payment after initially offering the payment card, be sure to void the charge.