4808 - Authorization-Related Chargeback - Required Authorization Not Obtained
Why did I receive this chargeback?
You were supposed to request authorization but didn’t.
How long can the issuer wait to file a chargeback?
The maximum amount of time that can pass between the transaction processing date and the chargeback processing date is 90 calendar days.
What compelling evidence is needed to respond?
Your chargeback response must include at least one of the following items:
- Proof the transaction was authorized and presented within the allotted time frame
- Proof that the chargeback is invalid because it doesn’t adhere to Mastercard requirements
- Proof you have already refunded the transaction and credited the cardholder’s account
How can I avoid this chargeback in the future?
- Always send an authorization request before processing a transaction.
- If you process transactions with multiple authorizations or clearings, make sure you fully understand Mastercard’s rules and regulations.
- If you add gratuities to transactions, don’t exceed the 20% tolerance.