Reason Code IN – Invalid Card Number
Processing Error Dispute
Why did I receive this chargeback?
The card number that you submitted with the transaction is not assigned to a valid cardholder.
How long can the issuer wait to file a chargeback?
The maximum amount of time that can pass between the transaction processing date and the chargeback processing date is 120 calendar days.
What compelling evidence is needed to respond?
Examples of compelling evidence that you may submit in response to a chargeback with this reason code include:
- Proof you received a positive authorization response, proof the card number is correct, and proof the card number was not listed on the negative file at the time of authorization
- Proof the transaction was processed on a chip card and you obtained a positive response using an offline authorization procedure
- Proof that the chargeback is invalid because it doesn’t adhere to Discover’s requirements
How can I avoid this chargeback in the future?
- Always request authorization before completing a transaction.
- If an authorization request is denied, stop the transaction and ask for an alternate form of payment.
- Always swipe, dip, or tap a card—only use fallback options in emergency situations.