Reason Code F30 – EMV Counterfeit
Why did I receive this chargeback?
You processed a transaction with a counterfeit card, and the cardholder claims he or she didn’t participate in the purchase. The counterfeit card wasn’t detected because either the POS wasn’t chip-and-PIN enabled or the transaction was manually keyed.
Note: This reason code should not be used for contactless transactions or digital wallet payments.
What compelling evidence is needed to respond?
Your chargeback response must include at least one of the following items:
- If the purchase was a card-not-present transaction, provide proof the dispute is invalid.
- If the card wasn’t counterfeit, provide proof the POS processed a chip card transaction.
- If you have already processed a refund for the transaction in question, provide documentation that proves you have credited the cardholder’s account.
How can I avoid this chargeback in the future?
- Only use EMV-compliant terminals.
- Always use the correct cardholder verification method—signature, PIN, etc.
- Make sure you differentiate between card-not-present and card-present transactions during clearing by noting internet, phone, or mail orders.